Talked to the sales rep at Riverbend today and told him I'd decided
to go with just a single level. One bedroom, straightforward. He sent an
updated contract, I signed it, and I'm scheduled to meet with the
designer on July 27.
I enunciated something to Rebecca
today that I hadn't said before. I think of myself as being pretty much
immune to
groupthink - to doing things because they're expected or because all the
cool kids are doing them or because it would make me look better to
my friends or even strangers. Up to this point on this project - maybe
still - I'm torn between doing what *I* want and what - what, the
Jones'? prospective future owners? would want. Deciding to go with a
single level and a single bedroom seems like a big step in the right
direction. That's decidedly what I need, though it doesn't suit
everyone. I suspect this will come up over and over again. I wish it
wouldn't.
I wish I were better at envisioning a
cohesive design for the whole house. I'm already finding myself battling
the desire to build something that's a combination funky cabin with lots of rough-hewn wood and taxidermy, a stately home with lots of visible timbers and glass, a turn-of-the-century cottage with an arts and crafts look, a 1910s place with a cool barrister's bookcase and antique dressers, a 1930s place with art deco lamps, a 1950s place with aqua, pink, and formica, or something with an artsy look, say Talavera. As I look at this list, I think "all of the above".
At
any rate, I've resolved to spend a couple hours a day between now and
my meeting with the designer mulling through and gathering samples of
these design elements and styles. Blogging is one way to tease out those
thoughts, so here I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment