Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Getting anxious about funds

The stock market has been tanking for the past couple months (ever since Dear Leader started making off-the-cuff statements about trade wars and treaties) and my goose egg is more like a robin's egg. Down from $1.8 million to $1.45 million, with a projection that I could retire at my desired income level in THREE YEARS. It's really making me anxious, but there's nothing I can do.

Complicating matters is the fact that I have a $465K loan underway, and once it's funded, I'll have monthly payments of $3,000. Payments that can only be made by cashing in bits of that deflated 401(k). Oh - and payments that will be $3K/month for the next THIRTY YEARS. And there's no guarantee the loan proceeds will even build me a house. If that happens, I'll be hosed, since the only house I DO have will be encumbered for the remainder of my lifetime.

So...in the best-case scenario, my income is about $100K. $36K of that is house payments, leaving $64K to live on. That's a fair amount, but that's about what I live on now. Doesn't take into consideration increased medical expenses, a replacement vehicle, or inflation. So what do I do? The cheapest thing would just be to talk away with my 2-acre park. Anything else involves risk.

So...just cogitate on it and be anxious for a while, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment